A comforting and creamy chicken and mushroom stroganoff made lighter by using half-fat crème fraiche.
Serve with rice or noodles for a deliciously filling dinner, made in just 30 minutes!
This creamy chicken stroganoff with chestnut mushrooms is a quick and easy family dinner that everyone will love!
I've made it slightly healthier by using half-fat crème fraiche instead of the traditional soured cream, yet it still manages to retain that luxurious and indulgent taste and texture!
👩🍳 Love stroganoff? Try my easy leftover roast beef stroganoff!
✔️ Why should you try it?
- Comforting and filling
- Great for freezing
- Double the recipe and feed a crowd
- Chicken - 3 chicken breasts cut into bitesize pieces.
- Mushrooms - I used chestnut mushrooms but any mushroom would work OK.
- Onion - 1 chopped white onion.
- Garlic - 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely.
- Stock - 300ml of chicken stock was used. I use a chicken stockpot as they are more flavourful than a cube.
- Tomato Puree - 1 tablespoon.
- Smoked Paprika - the addition of smoked paprika really helps pep up the flavour.
- Dried Italian Herbs - a non traditional twist!
- Mustard - I find Dijon mustard is best for this recipe as it's not too overpowering.
- Creme Fraiche - half-fat creme fraiche was used instead of the traditional soured cream.
- Parsley - scatter chopped parsley over the dish when serving.
- Thickening Granules - useful if you need to thicken the sauce slightly at the end of cooking. Alternatively use a cornflour and water paste and whisk it in.
The recipe card with ingredient quantities and detailed instructions can be found at the bottom of the post
One: In a large pan fry the onion and garlic until soft (about 4 minutes).
Two: Add the chicken and mushrooms and turn the heat up. Stir until the chicken changes colour.
Three: Now its time to stir in the tomato puree, stock, smoked paprika, dried italian herbs and mustard. Simmer for 10 minutes on a medium heat.
Four: Stir through the crème fraiche, seasoning and warm through. If the sauce needs thickening up use 2 tablespoons of thickening granules. Alternatively use a cornflour and water paste and whisk in. Serve with chopped parsley and more paprika.
🍴 Serving suggestions
I usually serve this chicken and mushroom stroganoff with rice, buttered noodles or roast sweet potatoes for a filling and tasty meal. Steamed green vegetables is also a nice side dish that goes well with the creamy stroganoff sauce.
Leftovers are good as a jacket potato topping too!
Instead of using chicken breast pieces, why not use chopped leftover roast chicken from your Sunday roast? Add the cooked roast chicken at the same time as the crème fraiche to allow it to warm through.
Alternatively you could try using turkey or pork meat, or go authentic and use beef strips.
The chicken stroganoff will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat thoroughly in the microwave before serving. Alternatively it can be frozen for up to 3 months in a freezer safe container. Defrost in the fridge before reheating.
Traditional beef stroganoff has its origins in mid-19th century Russia and was named after Count Pavel Aleksandrovich Stroganoff a Russian aristocrat who was born in Paris. The original beef stroganoff recipe was derived from a basic French mustard for seasoning beef, combined with a dollop of Russian sour cream, which Stroganoff's chef named after his benefactor.
Chicken stroganoff has been a more recent adaptation in response to people eating less red meat.
A traditional stroganoff sauce is made with onions, mushrooms, stock, soured cream and mustard. In this version I've substituted the traditional soured cream with half fat crème fraiche and I've also added smoked paprika and garlic for extra flavour.
More easy dinner recipes you might like;
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Pork Stroganoff
- Creamy Crème Fraiche Chicken
- Garlic Butter Chicken
- Easy Sausage Casserole for Kids
- Savoury Mince
- Sticky Sausage Traybake
- Keema Matar
- Slow Cooker Pulled Beef
- Chicken and Chorizo Risotto
- Lamb and Apricot Tagine
Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 3 Chicken Breasts cut into bitesize pieces
- 200 g Chestnut Mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Puree
- 300 ml Chicken Stock
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian Herb Seasoning
- 250 ml Crème Fraiche (half fat) or use soured cream
- 1 tablespoon Parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoon Thickening Granules or use a cornflour and water paste to thicken.
- In a large pan fry the onion and garlic in a little olive oil until soft (about 4 minutes).
- Add the chicken and mushrooms and turn the heat up. Stir until the chicken changes colour.
- Now its time to stir in the tomato puree, stock, smoked paprika, dried Italian herbs and mustard. Simmer for 10 minutes on a medium heat.
- Stir through the crème fraiche, seasoning and warm through. If the sauce needs thickening up use 2 tablespoons of thickening granules. Alternatively use a cornflour and water paste and whisk it in. Serve with chopped parsley and more paprika.
I'm linking this recipe up to #CookBlogShare which this week is hosted by Curly's Cooking.
This is like the ultimate comfort food! Loving the flavors - the boyfriend was a huge fan of this! Can't wait to make it again.
This is one dish that I haven't had in ages, which makes me extra excited about the whole recipe. And it looks like it is pretty easy to make, which is perfect!
Best chicken stroganoff I've ever had! The whole family enjoyed it.
Dolly @ Little Home in the Making
Oh my! This looks absolutely to-die-for. I've never had a "chicken" stroganoff, but now I know I need to try this!
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry
You just can't beat a warming and fulfilling stroganoff at this time of year and this chicken and mushroom one sounds absolutely divine!
Cat | Curly's Cooking
This looks delicious, I like that you have made it a little healthier too. A great mid week meal. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare.
Jacqui – Recipes Made Easy:Only Crumbs Remain
This looks delcious the perfect supper for this time of year.