This oven-baked chicken and chorizo risotto recipe is both comforting and cheesy, and it can be prepared and served in just 35 minutes!
Oven baked risotto is an ideal option for busy weeknights since it doesn't require any stirring.
For those who appreciate authentic Italian risotto, this recipe may not be what you're used to.
However, if you're looking for a quick and easy alternative that doesn't require constant stirring, then this chicken chorizo risotto recipe is perfect for you!
By baking the risotto in the oven, you'll have more time to focus on other things while still achieving a creamy and satisfying risotto dish.
✔️ Why should you try it?
- This recipe can be prepared and on the table in just 35 minutes, making it perfect for busy weeknights when you don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.
- With the combination of chicken, chorizo, and cheesy risotto, this dish is packed with rich and savoury flavours.
- Unlike traditional risotto recipes that require constant stirring on the hob, this dish is baked in the oven, freeing up your time to focus on other tasks around the house.
- This recipe will be a hit with the whole family. Kids and adults will love the comforting and cheesy flavours of this dish.
Olive Oil - 1 tablespoon is needed.
Garlic - 2 cloves finely chopped.
Onion - 1 onion, chopped finely.
Dried Thyme - or use rosemary.
Chicken Breasts - 2 chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces.
Chorizo - 100g chorizo sausage, cut into 1cm slices.
Frozen Petit Pois - or use frozen peas if you prefer.
Arborio Rice - essential for any risotto recipe.
White Wine - gives the risotto a lovely depth of flavour.
Chicken Stock - made from a stock pot or stock cube.
Parmesan - sprinkled over the risotto at the end of cooking.
Salt & Pepper - for seasoning.
The recipe card with ingredient quantities and detailed instructions can be found at the bottom of the post
One: Preheat the oven to 180°c (160°F/350°F/Gas 4). In a lidded casserole, heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes until soft. Add the chicken, chorizo, and thyme and cook until the chicken changes colour.
Two: Stir in the arborio rice and then add in the white wine. Let the wine reduce by half.
Three: Pour in the stock, bring to a boil then cover with a lid and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
Four: Add the petit pois for the final 5 minutes of cooking. If the rice is looking a little bit dry, also add some recently boiled water from your kettle. Season and serve with grated Parmesan.
💭 Top tips
- Use a large, oven-safe dish to allow the risotto to cook evenly and prevent it from overflowing.
- If you see the risotto has absorbed all the stock when you add the petit pois, pour in some recently boiled water from your kettle to prevent it from drying out.
- Use leftover roast chicken instead of chicken breast pieces. Stir it in at the same time as the petit pois. You'll need about 200g grams.
🍴 Serving suggestions
Serve the baked chorizo risotto with garlic bread, a green salad, and lots of grated Parmesan.
- Instead of using chorizo, try smoked streaky bacon or pancetta instead.
- To make this dish even more nutritious, consider adding some diced peppers, mushrooms, or spinach to the risotto.
- While Parmesan cheese is traditional for risotto, you can experiment with other types of cheese such as cheddar, gruyere, or even blue cheese.
Store - if you have any leftover chicken and chorizo risotto, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Reheat - When reheating, you may need to add a splash of chicken stock or water to loosen up the risotto and prevent it from drying out.
Freeze - It's not recommended to freeze this dish, as the texture may be affected when thawed and reheated. It's best to enjoy this dish fresh.
Traditionally, risotto is cooked on the hob and stirred continuously, therefore not requiring a lid. Oven-baked risotto is best cooked with a lid, however, to ensure the risotto doesn't dry out too much in the oven.
The chicken and chorizo risotto can be made with regular white rice instead of arborio rice if you prefer, but you will lose a bit of texture and creaminess. Cooking times will also need to be altered.
While this dish is best enjoyed fresh, you can make it ahead of time and reheat it when ready to serve. Keep in mind that the texture may be slightly different when reheated.
Yes, you can double the recipe to serve more people. Just make sure to use a larger dish and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Yes, you can omit the wine and use extra chicken stock instead. The wine adds flavour and aroma to the dish, but it's not essential.
Some more family-friendly chicken dinners to try;
- Chicken Penne Arrabbiata
- Broccoli and Wild Garlic Risotto
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Bake
- Mild Chicken Curry
- Creamy Cider Chicken
🍽️ More family-friendly recipes
Easy Chicken and Chorizo Risotto (Oven Baked)
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Jug
- Shallow Casserole
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves peeled and chopped
- 1 Onion peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Thyme dried or fresh
- 2 Chicken Breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 100 g Chorizo cut into 1cm slices
- 250 g Arborio Rice
- 100 ml White Wine
- 600 ml Chicken Stock
- 150 g Petit Pois frozen
- 75 g Parmesan grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°c (160 °fan/ 350°F/ Gas 4).
- Heat the olive oil in a casserole with lid and fry the garlic and onion for a few minutes to soften. Add in the chicken breast pieces, chorizo and thyme and cook until the chicken has changed colour.1 tablespoon Olive Oil, 2 Garlic Cloves, 1 Onion, 2 Chicken Breasts, 100 g Chorizo, 1 teaspoon Thyme
- Stir in the risotto rice and then add the white wine. Let the wine reduce by half.250 g Arborio Rice, 100 ml White Wine
- Pour in the stock and give it a stir, bring to the boil then pop on the lid and oven bake for 20 - 25 minutes.600 ml Chicken Stock
- Stir in the peas (and a little boiling water from the kettle if the risotto is looking a bit dry) and cook for a further 5 minutes or so.150 g Petit Pois
- Serve with grated Parmesan.75 g Parmesan