These super tasty slow cooker chicken fajitas are so simple to make! Just throw all of the ingredients into your slow cooker (crockpot) basin, switch on and cook for 6 hours! Perfect for busy weeknights when time is short.
Chicken fajitas are a popular dinner choice in this house! My version is cooked in the slow cooker, so a great recipe for busy school nights. Just bung all of the ingredients into your slow cooker and switch it on! It really couldn’t be simpler.
✔️ Why should you try it?
- Only 10 minutes of prep time
- Leave it cooking all day on a low setting
- Perfect for busy school nights
Chicken Breasts – 1kg of boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces.
Onion – 1 white onion, sliced thinly.
Garlic – 4 cloves, peeled and chopped.
Peppers – I used a mixture of red and yellow peppers, sliced thinly.
Tomato Puree – helps create the smoky fajita sauce.
Fajita Seasoning – I make a homemade fajita seasoning combining chilli, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, cinnamon and ground coriander.
Thickening Granules – so much easier than thickening with cornflour. If you can’t get hold of thickening granules then use a cornflour paste. However, as the cornflour needs to reach boiling point to start thickening, you will need to transfer the fajitas to a saucepan on the hob for the final part of cooking.
To serve – lime juice, tortilla wraps, grated cheddar, salsa.
One: Place the sliced onions, peppers and chopped garlic in a slow cooker basin.
Two: Place the chicken breast pieces on top.
Three: Sprinkle over the fajita spices and spoon in the tomato puree. Season with salt
Four: Give everything a mix and cook on low for 6 hours. Thicken the sauce by sprinkling in 2-3 tablespoons of the thickening granules and stir into the sauce until it thickens to your desired consistency.
💭 Top tips
- If you prefer you can use a ready-mixed pack of fajita seasoning. For 1 kg of chicken you will need to use 2 of the standard supermarket sachets.
- Up the nutritional content of the dish by adding 1 tin of drained black beans.
- If you like things spicy, double the quantity of chilli (see recipe card for amounts).
- For shredded chicken (rather than chicken pieces), place whole chicken breasts into the slow cooker basin and shred with forks at the end of cooking.
🍴 Serving suggestions
I usually serve the slow cooker chicken fajitas with warm tortilla wraps, grated cheddar, guacamole, salsa, soured cream, lime wedges, and a side of baked carrot fries.
Any leftover chicken can be served on a bed of rice the following day.
The cooked fajita chicken mix can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Once cooled, place the leftovers in a freezer-safe container with a plastic microwave safe lid.
Can you put raw chicken breast in the slow cooker?
Yes! I very rarely brown meat before putting it in the slow cooker, although some people do prefer to seal chicken in a frying pan first to allow excess moisture to escape. If you’re using thickening granules at the end of cooking, this isn’t really an issue. If however you can’t get hold of thickening granules, and don’t want to use cornflour to thicken the sauce at the end of cooking, then you might benefit from sealing the chicken first.
What toppings do you put on fajitas?
Traditionally, soured cream, salsa, guacamole and grated cheese are used as fajita toppings. I sometimes add sliced red onion and chopped coriander too.
Some more family friendly slow cooker recipes to try;
Don’t want to miss a thing?
Come over and join the Effortless Foodie VIP Facebook group, where we share recipes, meal planning tips and tricks, and have a good old chat about all things food related.
If you have a question about this recipe, please get in touch using the form on my contact page, or leave a comment on this post.
Grab your free pantry checklist!
A well-stocked pantry is the key to whipping up quick and easy meals, which is an absolute must when you have hungry kids to feed! Download my FREE Pantry Checklist and make sure you have everything on hand, to create delicious, fuss-free family food when time is against you, and the kids are STARVING!
🍽️ More family-friendly recipes
Don’t forget to rate the recipe! ⭐
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Slow Cooker
- 1 kg Chicken Breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Onion sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves peeled and chopped
- 3 Red and or Yellow Peppers sliced
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 3 tbsp Thickening Granules
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Salt
- Place the sliced onion, peppers and garlic in the slow cooker basin.
- Add the chicken breast pieces on top.
- Mix up the fajita seasoning in a small bowl and add this to the slow cooker with the tomato puree. Give everything a good stir.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in 3 tbsp of thickening granules at the end of cooking or alternatively spoon the chicken fajita mix into a saucepan and add a cornflour paste. Bring to the boil on the hob and allow to thicken. I suggest using 2 tbsp of cornflour with just enough water to make a paste.
I’m linking this recipe up to #CookBlogShare which this week is hosted by Apply to Face blog.