An easy 'dump and go' slow cooker diet coke chicken recipe made with boneless skinless chicken breasts, diet coke, and store-bought BBQ sauce (as well as a few other pantry staples)!
Serve the crockpot barbecue chicken with rice and roasted tenderstem broccoli for an easy weeknight chicken dinner the whole family will love! You might also like my easy slow cooker chicken curry recipe too!
I've taken the famous Slimming World diet coke chicken recipe and made it much tastier and much easier to make! Just a few simple ingredients are needed (most of which you will already have), and five minutes of prep at the beginning and five minutes at the end!
The diet coke peps up the store-bought BBQ sauce with a deliciously unique flavour, without adding extra calories! I guarantee it will become a new family favourite!
👩🍳 Love your slow cooker? Try my easy slow cooker hunters chicken!
✔️ Why you'll love this recipe!
- Easy slow cooker cola chicken recipe.
- Dump and go so no browning is needed.
- Great for busy weeknights when you don't have much time.
- Make a double batch to feed a crowd.
🛒 Ingredient notes
- Chicken - 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts with all visible fat removed. You could use 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs instead.
- Diet Coke - 150ml of diet coke, or swap for other fizzy drinks such as Dr Pepper, Pepsi, regular coke or cherry coke.
- BBQ Sauce - a good quality store-bought bbq sauce means this recipe is quick and easy to put together.
- Soy Sauce.
- Worcestershire Sauce.
- Tomato Puree.
- Garlic Powder.
- Smoked Paprika.
- Light Brown Sugar.
- Salt & Pepper.
- Spring Onions (optional) - for garnish.
Which slow cooker? I use a Morphy Richards Sear and Stew 6.5 litre slow cooker, which means I can brown and slow cook in the same pot as the slow cooker pot is safe to use on the hob! The 6.5 litre capacity serves 6-8 main portions, so it’s ideal for families and those that like batch cooking. There is also a 3.5 litre version for smaller households!!
🔪 How to make diet coke chicken in slow cooker
The recipe card with ingredient quantities and detailed instructions can be found at the bottom of the post
One: Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker basin.
Two: Whisk together all of the other ingredients in a jug (apart from the spring onion garnish) and pour over the chicken breasts. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on a low setting for 4-5 hours.
Three: Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker then pour the BBQ sauce into a saucepan and bring to the boil on the hob. Turn the heat down slightly and continue to cook and reduce the sauce until it coats the back of a wooden spoon.
Four: Place the cooked chicken breasts in a serving dish and pour over the thickened diet coke BBQ sauce.
Five: Serve straight away garnished with spring onions.
💭 Expert tip
If you're using full-fat rather than diet varieties of coke (or other fizzy drinks), omit the light brown sugar from the recipe, as they already have sugar in them.
🍴 Serving suggestions
What to serve with diet coke chicken? Here are a few ideas to try!
- Green crispy salad and fresh bread.
- Turmeric rice or cauliflower rice.
- Air fryer sweet potato fries.
- Spicy potato salad.
- Curried rice salad.
- Shred the chicken with forks to make pulled chicken and serve on 'game day' in my leftover chicken tacos.
Swap the chicken for pork chops, pork steaks or even a gammon joint.
Use diet Fanta or Tango to create a sweet and sour style slow cooker chicken dish, which you could serve with egg fried cauliflower rice.
Sprinkle the dish with red pepper flakes for added flavour.
Make the diet coke chicken in a pressure cooker or instant pot instead of a slow cooker/crockpot. Follow your manufacturer's guidance on timings.
Store: Place leftovers in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat: Place in a microwave-safe bowl or container and reheat until piping hot.
Freeze: Allow the chicken and sauce to cool, place in a freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge fully before reheating in the microwave.
❓ Frequently asked questions
Yes, raw chicken can be cooked in a slow cooker or crockpot.
Diet coke is famously SYN free on the Slimming World diet plan.
😋 More slow cooker recipes to try!
- Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole
- Slow Cooker Pulled Beef
- Slow Cooker Chilli Con Carne
- Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Beef Goulash
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Corn on the Cob
Don't forget to subscribe to the newsletter to stay up to date with what's cooking in the Effortless Foodie kitchen! You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram too!
Slow Cooker Diet Coke Chicken
- 4 Chicken Breasts skinless and boneless
- 150 ml Diet Coke
- 200 ml BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Puree
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Light Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Spring Onions chopped for garnish
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker basin.4 Chicken Breasts
- Whisk together all of the other ingredients in a jug (apart from the spring onion garnish) and pour over the chicken breasts. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on a low setting for 4-5 hours150 ml Diet Coke, 200 ml BBQ Sauce, 2 tablespoon Tomato Puree, 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce, 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce, ½ teaspoon Light Brown Sugar, ½ teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker then pour the BBQ sauce into a saucepan and bring to the boil on the hob. Turn the heat down slightly and continue to cook and reduce the sauce until it coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Place the cooked chicken breasts in a serving dish and pour over the thickened diet coke BBQ sauce.
- Serve straight away garnished with chopped spring onions2 Spring Onions
- Store: Place leftovers in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat: Place in a microwave-safe bowl or container and reheat until piping hot.
- Freeze: Allow the chicken and sauce to cool, place in a freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge fully before reheating in the microwave.
- The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.
Interesting recipe! Can't wait to try it!
Such a unique recipe! Loved how easy and flavorful it was.
What a unique flavor this gave to the chicken my husband liked it will make again
Easy and delicious is right! I am all about that life!
Tasty, easy and a huge family favorite! I love your variations to this recipe to make this sweet and sour - great idea!