Crispy roasted tenderstem broccoli is a delicious and easy side dish for chicken, fish, casseroles, and even roast dinner!
Seasoned with sea salt, garlic, and Italian herbs, it's a regular on our dinner table and makes a nice change from standard steamed or boiled broccoli florets.
Roasted tenderstem broccoli, or broccolini as it is sometimes known, is one of our favourite vegetables. My kids really love the contrast between the crispy florets and tender stems when it's been roasted in the oven.
There's minimal prep and only a handful of ingredients involved in making this easy vegetable side dish. But best of all, it's on the table in under 25 minutes!
👩🍳 Do you have an air fryer? Try my crispy air fryer broccoli too!
✔️ Why should you try it?
- Easy to make and healthy side dish.
- Oven-baked broccoli makes a nice change from regular broccoli which is usually boiled or steamed.
- Tasty and delicious.
- Goes well with so many dishes.
- Tenderstem Broccoli - also known as long stem broccoli or long broccoli.
- Olive Oil - use a good quality olive oil or extra-virgin olive oil for the best flavour.
- Garlic Powder - or granules. Fresh garlic would burn so I wouldn't recommend using it in this recipe.
- Italian Herbs - or use dried thyme.
- Sea Salt
The recipe card with ingredient quantities and detailed instructions can be found at the bottom of the post
One: Lay the tenderstem broccoli on a baking sheet or large baking tray.
Two: Drizzle over the oil and seasonings and roast in the oven for 20 minutes until tender.
💭 Top tips
- If the tenderstem broccoli stalks have very thick stems, make a cut halfway through, up to the base of the broccoli floret, to ensure the stems are tender once roasted.
- Make sure to leave a bit of space in between each stem of broccoli on the baking sheet. If the broccoli is too crowded in the oven it will steam instead of roast, which will prevent the edges from crisping up.
🍴 Serving suggestions
Roasted tenderstem broccoli goes well with lots of different dishes! I often serve it as a side dish with my slow cooker lamb breast, sausage casserole, easy cheesy pasta, Quorn sausage traybake, and baked cornflake chicken nuggets!
You could even try roasting it with brussels sprouts too!
- Use different seasonings. Try smoked paprika and garlic, or if you like things spicy, hot chilli flakes or red pepper flakes!
- Grate some parmesan cheese over the roasted broccoli at the end of cooking for a cheesy hit. Crumbled blue cheese would also work well.
- Sprinkle over toasted sesame seeds for added crunch.
- Drizzle over honey for honey roasted tenderstem broccoli.
- Squeeze over fresh lemon juice for a citrus zing.
- Add a grinding of black pepper before roasting.
Store: The roasted long stem broccoli can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat: Reheat the broccoli in an air fryer to retain its crispy texture, or oven bake on a high heat for a few minutes. It can also be eaten cold in salads! Why not try adding it to my easy 5 bean salad!
Tenderstem broccoli is a hybrid of Chinese kale and broccoli which was first introduced in Japan in 1993. Chinese kale is a leafy brassica with long stems that it lent to the broccoli, resulting in a broccoli floret with a long tender stem.
Tenderstem broccoli is high in vitamins A and C. It's also a good source of potassium and manganese.
Tried this recipe? Leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating in the comments!
More delicious side dishes you might like!
Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli with Garlic
- 250 g Tenderstem Broccoli
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Italian Herb Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°c (160 fan/ 35F/ Gas 4).
- Place the tenderstem broccoli on a baking sheet and drizzle over the oil and sprinkle over the seasoning.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes until the stalks are tender.