Easy roast courgettes flavoured with garlic, lemon, and sea salt.
A delicious seasonal veggie side dish that goes brilliantly with chicken, fish, or even stirred through pasta!
I make these quick oven-roasted courgettes a lot during courgette season as I always seem to have a glut!
This recipe is not only perfect for those who have a bounty of courgettes during the summer months, but also for anyone in search of a light, nutritious and flavourful side dish.
The minimal use of oil keeps it light and healthy, while the combination of lemon and garlic lends a Mediterranean flavour that pairs beautifully with a variety of main courses.
So, if you're looking for a dish that celebrates courgettes in their full glory and can be easily prepared even on the busiest of days, then this roast courgette recipe with lemon and garlic is just the thing for you!
Have you seen my courgette and tomato bake? Another delicious courgette recipe to try.
✔️ Why should you try it?
- Roasting courgettes is a straightforward and uncomplicated cooking method. It requires minimal preparation and the oven does most of the work for you. You could also try air frying them.
- Roasting is an excellent way to use up a glut of courgettes. If you have a bounty of courgettes from your garden or have bought too many, roasting a large batch is a quick and easy solution.
- Courgettes are low in calories and high in valuable nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, and fibre. Roasting, especially when done without excessive oil, is a healthy way to cook them.
- Roasted courgettes can be used in a variety of dishes. They can be served as a side dish, added to salads, or mixed into pasta. You can also experiment with different seasonings to change the flavour profile.
- Courgettes (zucchini) - 5 medium courgettes, cut into 5 cm pieces and then quartered.
- Lemon - the juice of half a lemon is needed, but for extra zing use the zest as well.
- Garlic - 1 clove roasted in its skin imparts a subtle garlic flavour.
- Olive Oil - for roasting.
- Salt - sea salt is best to use.
- Parsley (optional) - for garnish.
The recipe card with ingredient quantities and detailed instructions can be found at the bottom of the post
One: Wash your courgettes then cut into roughly 5cm pieces. Cut each 5 cm piece into quarters.
Two: Place the courgette pieces into a roasting tray and drizzle over the olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and place the garlic clove (in its skin) in the middle of the roasting try.
Three: Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and tender.
🍴 Serving suggestions
My kids love it as a side to this cheesy tortellini bake too!
- ou could roast other summer vegetables alongside the courgettes for a more colourful and diverse dish. Think aubergine, peppers, or cherry tomatoes.
- In addition to, or instead of, garlic, consider using other herbs and spices. For instance, thyme, rosemary, or oregano would work well. For a kick, try a sprinkle of chilli flakes.
- Near the end of the roasting time, sprinkle some feta, goat cheese or Parmesan over the courgettes. The heat will soften the cheese, adding a creamy contrast to the roasted veggies.
- For some extra crunch, toss in some pine nuts or pumpkin seeds about 10 minutes before the end of the roasting time.
- You could swap out the lemon for another citrus, like lime or orange.
- After roasting, drizzle the courgettes with a bit of balsamic glaze for a sweet and tangy finish.
The roasted courgettes are best eaten fresh out of the oven. They can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. They can be enjoyed cold in a salad or reheated in the oven or air fryer.
❓ Frequently asked questions
You can, but the oil helps to prevent the courgettes from drying out and sticking to the pan. It also aids in achieving a nice caramelisation. If you prefer not to use oil, consider a non-stick baking tray or parchment paper, but note that the courgettes might not brown as well.
The courgettes are done when they're tender and have golden brown spots. The exact time can vary depending on the size of your courgette pieces and your specific oven.
Roasted courgettes with lemon and garlic are quite versatile and pair well with a wide range of dishes, including grilled fish, roast chicken, pasta, or even as part of a vegetarian or vegan meze spread.
More courgette recipes to try!
- Creamy Courgette Curry
- Courgette Fritters
- Courgette Burgers
- Courgette Feta Frittata
- Courgette Muffins
Roast Courgettes with Lemon and Garlic
- Chopping Board
- Roasting Tin
- 5 Courgettes
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ tablespoon Parsley optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°c (160 fan/ 350F/ Gas 4).
- Cut the ends off the courgettes then chop into roughly 5 cm lengths. Cut each piece into quarters and lay in one single layer in roasting tin.5 Courgettes
- Drizzle over the oil, the juice of half a lemon, sea salt and place the garlic clove in the centre of the tray (skin on).1 Lemon, 1 Garlic Clove, 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- Roast for 25 -30 minutes until tender. Sprinkle with chopped parsley if using.½ tablespoon Parsley