This easy strawberry cobbler recipe is a delicious summery dessert, that celebrates strawberry season in style.
The golden cobbler topping encases sweet, juicy, strawberries, making it the perfect fuss-free fruity dessert. Serve warm with ice cream for a taste of summer, whatever the time of year.
I'll let you into a little secret! I sometimes eat this delicious strawberry cobbler for breakfast with a dollop of Greek yogurt!
It really is very good, and so easy to make. The orange juice and zest really help to bring out the flavour of the sweet strawberries, turning it into a taste sensation!
👩🍳 Love cobblers? Try my easy blackberry cobbler too!
✔️ Why should you try it?
- A great way to use up a glut of strawberries
- An easy summer dessert
- Fruity and delicious
- Vary the fruits depending what's in season
- Orange - zest and juice
- Light Brown Sugar
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Flour - plain and self-raising flour
- Ground almonds
- Caster Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
A chopping board and knife to cut the strawberries into pieces, a mixing bowl for the cobbler topping, and an oven-proof dish for baking, are all you need.
The recipe card with ingredient quantities and detailed instructions can be found at the bottom of the post
One: Preheat the oven and place the chopped strawberries into a large bowl and add the light brown sugar, orange juice and zest, balsamic vinegar, and plain flour.
Two: Give it all a good mix until the flour dissolves.
Three: Spoon the strawberries into an oven-proof baking dish, or several smaller ramekins.
Four: Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
Five: Make the cobbler dough topping by rubbing the butter into the flour, ground almonds, and sugar, before adding the milk and vanilla extract.
Six: Bring the dough together and set aside.
Seven: Take the strawberries out of the oven and allow to cool down slightly.
Eight: Pop spoonful's of the dough on the strawberries and bake for 20 minutes until the cobbler topping is golden.
🍴 Serving suggestions
In the summer I love to eat fruit cobbler warm from the oven served with creamy no churn honeycomb ice-cream. It's a great dessert for summer BBQs and family gatherings.
Then there's the custard option, which I favour during the colder winter months. Oh, and we mustn't forget clotted cream, which turns it into a truly decadent dessert, any time of year!
Use different soft fruits depending on what's in season. Raspberries or blueberries would work well, or even a combination of all three berries.
Peach cobbler is also a nice variation to your cobbler repertoire.
The cobbler is best eaten fresh out of the oven but leftovers can be stored in a cool place and reheated in the microwave.
A cobbler is a dish consisting of a fruit or savoury filling, poured into a large baking dish and topped with a dough batter. It's baked in a hot oven to ensure the cobbles are golden and crispy.
The fruit filling should be bubbling around the sides of the dish and the cobbler topping should be golden and crispy on top.
No - a cobbler does not have a bottom crust. The bottom layer is the fruit, which is then topped with the cobbler dough.
If you're dealing with a glut of strawberries, here are a few more yummy strawberry recipes to try!
- These bakery style strawberry muffins make the most amazing after school snacks! The kids always request a batch of these when we have strawberries in the house.
- Strawberry Mojito Cooler - a refreshing strawberry mojito cooler is the perfect cocktail when sweet juicy strawberries are in season. There is nothing better on a hot sunny day!
- Rhubarb and strawberry crumble is a fruit pairing made in heaven. I love the ruby red colour of this crumble. A delicious hearty fruit pudding.
- Mini strawberry cheesecakes - cute individual strawberry desserts.
Pssst! Have you seen my Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble recipe?
Some more delicious puddings to try;
- Spiced Plum and Apple Crumble
- Apple and Blueberry Crumble
- Lemon Curd Loaf Cake
- Summer Fruit Sponge Pudding
- Easy Apple and Blackberry Crumble
- Apple and Mincemeat Crumble
Don't want to miss a thing?
Grab your free pantry checklist!
🍽️ More family-friendly recipes
Easy Strawberry Cobbler
- 800 g Strawberries chopped
- 1 Orange zest and juice
- 1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 40 g Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Plain Flour
For the Cobbler topping
- 50 g Ground Almonds
- 100 g Self Raising Flour
- 50 g Caster Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 100 g Butter cubed
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 25 g Flaked Almonds optional
- Preheat the oven to 190°c (170°fan) and butter a 2 litre oven proof dish.
- Place the chopped strawberries in a bowl and mix in the zest and juice of 1 orange, balsamic vinegar, light brown sugar and plain flour. Spoon the strawberries in an oven proof dish.
- Bake the strawberries in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cobbler topping by putting the ground almonds, self raising flour, caster sugar and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Rub in the cubed butter until you get a breadcrumb like consistency.
- Stir through the vanilla extract and milk and bring the dough together with your hands, until you get a smooth firm dough
- Dollop spoonfuls of the dough on top of the strawberries and scatter the top with flaked almonds if using.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the cobbler topping is golden and crisp and the fruit filling is bubbling at the sides of the dish.