These delicious veggie Quorn Ham & Stilton Rarebit Bites are the perfect cheesy bite-size snack for your King's Coronation street party or picnic on Saturday 6th May!
This once-in-a-lifetime event provides us with the perfect opportunity to come together and celebrate with friends, family, and neighbours. And what better way to celebrate than a good old British knees up with proper British party food!
This is a sponsored post in collaboration with Quorn. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Grab your Union Jack bunting, whip up a batch of these delightful Quorn Ham & Stilton Rarebit Bites, using Quorn Vegetarian Ham Slices and let's celebrate our new King in true British style!
👩🍳Looking for more easy party food? Try these air fryer cheese scones too!
What is rarebit?
Rarebit, also known as Welsh rarebit or Welsh rabbit, is a traditional British dish originating from Wales. It consists of a savoury cheese sauce made by melting cheese with a variety of ingredients, such as mustard, ale or beer. This rich, flavoursome sauce is then poured over slices of toasted bread and grilled until bubbling and golden brown.
✔️ Why you'll love this recipe!
- Can be served hot or cold, so these bite size snacks are perfect for drinks parties, buffets, street parties, and picnics.
- Meat-free & veggie friendly.
- Celebrates King Charles's ties with Wales.
- Easily customisable.
🛒 Ingredient notes
Quorn Ham - 12 Quorn Vegetarian Ham Slices. You could also use Quorn Smoky Ham-Free Slices.
Baguette - 1 part-baked baguette, cut into 3 cm slices. You could also use sourdough or anything with a substantial crust.
Red Onion Chutney - or use the chutney of your choice. Pear and apple chutney would work well in this dish too.
Stilton - crumbled, or substitute for grated cheddar cheese.
Grana Padano - finely grated.
Creme Fraiche - use full-fat creme fraiche or soured cream.
Eggs - 2 large free-range eggs.
Mustard - 2 teaspoons of wholegrain mustard.
Optional - serve with chives and chopped walnuts.
The recipe card with ingredient quantities and detailed instructions can be found at the bottom of the post
One: Preheat the grill and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
Two: Mix together the crumbled stilton, grated grana padano, eggs, creme fraiche, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Three: Place the baguette slices on the lined baking sheet and toast under the grill for 2 minutes each side until lightly golden.
Four: Spead the red onion chutney over each slice.
Five: Lay the Quorn Vegetarian Ham Slices over the chutney.
Six: Spoon over the cheese mix and grill for 3-5 minutes until golden and bubbling. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving and garnish with chives and chopped walnuts.
💭 Expert tips
- Add a splash of ale or beer to enhance the depth of flavour in the cheese sauce.
- Lightly toast the bread on both sides before adding the cheese mixture. This will help the bread maintain its structure and prevent it from becoming too soggy once the sauce is added.
- Don't forget to season your cheese sauce with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. This will help to balance the flavours and bring out the best in your rarebit.
🍴 Serving suggestions
Serve the Quorn ham and stilton rarebit bites as part of your celebration Coronation street party or buffet. They taste great hot or cold!
I'd also serve sticky date flapjacks, fruit scones, veggie sausage rolls, and Quorn picnic eggs alongside them.
- Make them spicy and add a pinch of chilli powder to the cheese mix.
- Use different cheeses. Anything that melts well can be used. Cheddar, gruyere and brie would all work well in this recipe.
- Swap the Quorn ham slices for Quorn roast beef-style slices.
The rarebit bites are best eaten warm from the oven, although they taste great at room temperature too.
Store - leftovers should be placed in an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat - the bites can be eaten cold or you can reheat them for 4-5 minutes in a hot oven or air fryer.
Freeze - not suitable for freezing.
😋 More Coronation food ideas
Don't forget to subscribe to the newsletter to stay up to date with what's cooking in the Effortless Foodie kitchen! You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram too!
Quorn Ham & Stilton Rarebit Bites
- 1 Baguette
- 150 g Red Onion Chutney
- 12 Quorn Vegetarian Ham Style Slices
- 200 g Stilton crumbled
- 150 g Grana Padano grated
- 2 tablespoon Creme Fraiche
- 2 Eggs large
- 2 teaspoon Wholegrain Mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Chives & Crumbled Walnuts
- Preheat the grill and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix together the crumbled stilton, grated grana padano, eggs, creme fraiche, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl.200 g Stilton, 150 g Grana Padano, 2 tablespoon Creme Fraiche, 2 Eggs, 2 teaspoon Wholegrain Mustard, ¼ teaspoon Salt, ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Place the baguette slices on the lined baking sheet and toast under the grill for 2 minutes each side until lightly golden.1 Baguette
- Spread the red onion chutney over each slice.150 g Red Onion Chutney
- Lay the Quorn Vegetarian Ham Style slices over the chutney.12 Quorn Vegetarian Ham Style Slices
- Spoon over the cheese mix and grill for 3-5 minutes until golden and bubbling. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving and garnish with chives and chopped walnuts.
These rarebit bites were so easy to make and so tasty. 3 people asked me for the recipe!
Perfect for an appetiser at a drinks party! I used a combination of cheeses I had in the fridge and they tasted fantastic!