Add smoky chorizo to your mac and cheese, for a Spanish style twist on this family favourite pasta dish. This chorizo mac and cheese is pure comfort food and I guarantee everyone will love it!
Chorizo Mac and Cheese might just be the best thing since, well, regular Mac and Cheese!
I’m a HUGE Mac and Cheese fan, as are my kiddos. It’s a meal they ask for at least once a week, and I’m pretty sure they would eat it every day if they could.
In this version, the chorizo adds a lovely smokiness to the recipe, which takes it to the next level of deliciousness.
There are so many options with Mac and Cheese! This Spanish style chorizo macaroni cheese obviously has chorizo in it. You could also use Spanish cheeses, like manchego. I stuck to extra mature cheddar (sharp cheddar), mozzarella and Parmesan though.
Here are a few more idea’s to take your usual Mac and Cheese up a notch on the flavour front;
- Sweet Potato
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Blue Cheese
- Sun-dried tomatoes
What pasta should I use?
Not surprisingly, macaroni is the usual pasta of choice, although I regularly make macaroni cheese with penne, rigatoni and sometimes even farfalle. Any short pasta will work well, but probably not something like spaghetti or linguine.
🧊 Suitable for freezing?
Absolutely yes. Macaroni cheese is a great dish for making ahead and freezing.
When I was pregnant with my third child, I remember stocking up our freezer with 5 different macaroni cheeses. What can I say? I really love mac and cheese, and I loved it even more when I was pregnant!
Once you have mastered the basic cheese sauce, making macaroni cheese is a piece of cake. I promise!
- Smoked Paprika
- Cayenne Pepper
- Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 saucepans. One to the cook the macaroni and one to make the cheese sauce.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Whisk – my secret weapon for stopping those lumps forming in the sauce. It works EVERY time!
1: Melt the butter in a saucepan on a medium heat.
2: Fry the chorizo and garlic in the butter for a minute, before adding the flour.
3: Cook this for two minutes to ensure the raw flour taste is gone.
4: Gradually add the milk and whisk continually until the sauce thickens.
5: Take the sauce off the heat and add the cheeses. Stir the sauce until the cheeses melt.
6: Add the cooked macaroni and mix until combined.
7: Pour into an oven proof dish.
8: Sprinkle with the panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan, before baking in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
More macaroni cheese recipes to try;
- Slow Cooker Macaroni Cheese
- Sweet Potato Macaroni Cheese
- Pressure Cooker Macaroni Cheese
- The Best Macaroni Cheese
- Creamed Spinach Mac and Cheese
Chorizo Mac and Cheese
For the pasta and cheese sauce
- 50 g Butter
- 175 g Chorizo sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 50 g Plain Flour
- 600 ml Milk
- 200 g Extra Mature Cheddar grated
- 100 g Block Mozzarella grated
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 250 g Macaroni
For the topping
- 25 g Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Parmesan grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°Fan.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Cook the macaroni according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile in another large pan, melt the butter over a medium heat.
- Add the chorizo and garlic and fry for a minute to release the chorizo oils.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Gradually add the milk, turn up the heat and whisk until the sauce thickens. It should coat the back of a spoon. This usually takes a couple of minutes.
- Take the sauce off the heat and add the cheddar, mozzarella, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and Dijon mustard. Stir until the cheese melts into the sauce.
- Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce, mix together, and spoon into an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle over the panko breadcrumbs and parmesan, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Don’t want to miss a recipe?
Come over and join the Effortless Foodie VIP Facebook group, where we share recipes, meal planning tips and tricks, and have a good old chat about all things food related.
If you have a question about this recipe, please get in touch using the form on my contact page, or leave a comment on this post.
Grab your free pantry checklist!
A well stocked pantry is the key to whipping up quick and easy meals, which is an absolute must when you have hungry kids to feed! Download my FREE Pantry Checklist and make sure you have everything on hand, to create delicious, fuss-free family food, when time is against you, and the kids are STARVING!
My tried and tested Chocolate Biscuit Cake is always a hit with the whole family. Why don’t you give it a go?