Cajun Chicken Pasta
This easy Cajun chicken pasta recipe is super simple to make and on the table in under 30 minutes, making it the ideal dish for busy weeknights. Creamy, smoky, and just a little bit spicy, I guarantee everyone will be asking for seconds!
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped (or use red onion)
- 2 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- 1 Red Pepper sliced
- 2 Chicken Breasts diced (or use quorn pieces)
- 3 tablespoon Cajun Spice
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 250 ml Passata
- 150 ml Double Cream or use half fat creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup or 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ Lemon juice only
- 50 g Parmesan grated
- 2 tablespoon Parsley finely chopped
- 250 g Penne or use rigatoni or farfalle
Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to instructions. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a shallow casserole or large frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes on a medium heat.
Add the red pepper strip and cook for a fruther 3 monutes.
Turn the heat up and add the chicken. Cook until the chicken changes colour.
Str in the cajun seasoning and smoked paprika.
Add the passata, ketchup, double cream, lemon juice and Parmesan and simmer for 7-8 minutes.
Add in the pasta and warm through. Serve with chopped parsley and more grated Parmesan.
Storage: As with most pasta recipes, this dish tastes best when it has been freshly cooked. Although leftovers can be reheated the next day (it makes a tasty quick lunch!). Just add a splash of water before microwaving to ensure the pasta doesn't dry out. It's best to cover the pasta with clingfilm to retain as much moisture as possible.
Nutrition: The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.
- Up the veggies by adding in fresh spinach, halved cherry tomatoes and sweetcorn at the same time as you add the cooked pasta.
- Make it lower in fat by using half fat creme fraiche instead of double cream.
- Make it spicier by adding 1 chopped red chili with the onion and garlic.
- Give it a smoky edge by adding in 150g of smoked sausage, cut into 1cm discs.
- Use wholewheat pasta instead of white pasta to increase the fibre content of the dish.
- Make it vegetarian by using quorn or tofu pieces in place of the chicken. You could even add roasted sweet potato cubes!
- Make it gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta.
Cajun Chicken Pasta
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.